Angola: President Dos Santos Won’t Run For Re-election

Angola's President Jose Eduardo dos Santos





JOHANNESBURG (AP) — Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos, one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders, is announcing an end to his 38 years in power, saying Friday he will not run again in this year’s election.

The Portuguese news agency Lusa reported dos Santos’ comments during an address to his ruling Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola party, or MPLA. Defense minister Joao Lourenco will be the party’s candidate for president in the election set for August, while dos Santos remains the party leader.

Dos Santos, 74, has led Angola, one of Africa’s largest oil producers, since 1979. The southern African nation, a former Portuguese colony, was ripped by the continent’s longest civil war until 2002.

In March last year, reports said dos Santos told the ruling party he would leave politics in 2018.
– CARA ANNA I AP